Coconut oil is a wonderful healthy fat option for your meal plan, as it has countless health and fitness benefits, is considered a superfood by many nutritionists and is extremely versatile. Keep reading to learn more about this delicious and nutritious food:
1. High Energy. Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride, which is made up of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA). This type of fat is easier to digest than longer chain fats and, thus, provides energy more quickly and actually boosts metabolic rate.
3. Improves Satiety & Controls Hunger. Research has shown that MCFA fats help to reduce appetite by increasing feelings of satiety.
4. Boost Testosterone Production. Coconut oil can also naturally boost your testosterone production. A study from G. Hurtado de Catalfo and colleagues found that coconut oil helps with testosterone production by enhancing the activity of the enzymes that synthesize the hormone.
5. Immune Support. Coconut oil has lauric acids and monolaurin, which have antiviral and anti-fungal properties. As a Dentist, I often recommend coconut mouthwash oil for its anti-bacterial properties.
6. Beautification. Do you know that you can also use coconut oil for beauty and cosmetics uses? I have a very dry skin and hair, so I apply a small portion to my skin and my hair. It adds moisture without being greasy.
7. Delicious. Last, but not least, coconut oil is delicious. Add it to your coffee or tea as a natural sweetener and energizer. It helps me to do this whenever I am having cravings! Speaking of delicious, here is a wonderful recipe for you to try featuring coconut oil.
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup oats
¼ cup walnuts
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 Tbsp protein powder, vanilla flavor (I use New Zealand Whey from ATP-Lab or you can use vegan option as well)
1 Tbsp Stevia
3 Tbsp coconut oil, virgin
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp shredded coconut, raw
Preheat oven to 300 F. Combine all the ingredients, except the nuts, and mix well. Chop the walnuts and add to the mix. Portion and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition information per cookie