It seems like life just keeps getting more and more hectic, but you have to find time to relax. Slowing down will help you speed up. Taking a few minutes to just breathe and meditate will help you gain mental and physical strength. Here are a few ways to help you RELAX. Before performing any of these techniques, have a pep talk with yourself. Make a promise to take X amount of time to escape from everything else.
• Grab headphones and easy listening music, and get in a comfortable spot.
• Count to ten while inhaling and count to ten while exhaling. I usually do this five times, but continue until you feel relaxed. When you concentrate on the counting, it takes your mind off of other things and the breathing technique will calm you almost immediately.
• Write down your thoughts and schedule so that they are off your mind.
• Watch cartoons or a comedy. My husband watches cartoons when he gets home from work. At first I thought this was the craziest habit, but it really relaxes and lightens your mood.
• Take a hot bath and again put on some easy listening.
• For a quick pick me up, just simply take a deep breath, close your eyes for a few minutes and eat some peppermint. Peppermint can relieve tension, respiratory, pain and gastrointestinal issues.
• Call the funniest person you know and tell them you need to escape.
• Have sex.
• Treat yourself to a massage at the end of the crazy day or work week. It will get you relaxed and give you something to look forward to.
• Get in a child’s or happy baby yoga pose (obviously at home).
• Read with your FitnessRx magazine or a good book.
• Drink a hot tea or cocoa.
Night Cap Cocoa recipe:
2 tsp of cocoa
1/2 packet of stevia
2 tsp almond milk (unsweetened Almond Breeze Vanilla)
Stir until smooth
Fill mug with almond milk (for a lighter cocoa, do half milk, half water)
Microwave for 1.5 minutes