My hubby, clients and friends are always asking me for an easy, tasty, on-the-go meal that offers a change of pace from their usual protein shakes and dry chicken breasts. My solution? Homemade protein bars.
Yes, you could just purchase one of the gazillion protein bars on the market rather than baking your own. But, as you probably know, it’s really challenging to find ones that aren’t loaded with chemicals, sodium, sugar, sugar alcohols and fat. If you do find a bar that meets your nutritional requirements, it usually doesn’t pass the taste (or texture) test.
Because finding a protein bar is so difficult, I threw together this simple, clean and delish recipe for a quick meal or snack when you’re on the go. These moist, cake-like bars also make a great healthy dessert option for your next gathering with friends and family. Added bonus: This recipe is gluten free! I hope you love it!
Chocolate Banana Swirl Protein Bars – GLUTEN FREE
Yields 6 bars
Each Bar: 185 Calories| Protein 19g | Carbs 24g | Fat 2g
3 scoops Gaspari Nutrition’s MyoFusion Pro – Milk Chocolate
½ c. brown rice flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 ripe banana
½ c. water
2/3 c. egg whites
1 scoop Gaspari Nutrition’s MyoFusion Pro – Banana Perfection
¼ c. egg whites
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix Chocolate MyoFusion Pro, brown rice flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Use a blender to combine ripe banana, water and 2/3 c. egg whites. Stir into the bowl of dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Spray a glass baking pan with non-stick spray and pour batter into dish.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 scoop of Banana MyoFusion Pro and ¼ c. egg whites.
- Pour or spoon the banana batter onto chocolate batter in straight lines. (See demonstration picture).
- Drag a knife horizontally across the banana batter lines to create the swirled appearance. (See demonstration picture).
- Place in oven and bake for about 18-25 minutes. The bars are cooked when you can insert a toothpick into the center of the “cake” and it comes out clean (no batter on the toothpick.)
- 9. To maximize freshness, store leftovers in fridge or freezer.
A Winning Thought
One of the most important rules of fit living is to ALWAYS BE PREPARED. Never leave home without clean eats in hand. In fact, always bring one more meal than you think you will need to make sure you’re covered. Hunger plus what’s convenient is not a winning combination— you just may end up giving in to one of those brightly packaged, nutritionally deplete items disguised as health food. So, whether its chicken and veggies, tuna and rice, a shake and almonds or homemade protein bars, carry a cooler stocked with food that fuels your body and your goals. Be YOUR BEST!
Hit me up on Facebook and Twitter— I love hearing from you. Let me know what you think of this YOUR BEST and what topics you would like for me to cover in the future.