With the recently released American superhero film “Wonder Woman,” I thought it was appropriate to shed light on the Wonder Woman that resides in every each and every woman. Since becoming a mom, I have gained a new respect for all women. The day-to-day duties of being a mom, wife, entrepreneur and fitness enthusiast are never ending. At times, the roles can seem overwhelming, but when we dig deep within ourselves to reveal those Wonder Woman strengths, we can suddenly take on so much more than we ever thought possible.
The film “Wonder Woman” symbolizes this indomitable spirit women possess to take on the largest tasks and not back down from any challenge. There is something about the female spirit that was bred to be fierce while also the most nurturing beings. This dichotomy is what makes women truly embody everything the superhero Wonder Woman represents.
So, how do we ignite our inner Wonder Woman? Here are my seven top tips to unlock the Wonder Woman that lives inside all of us:
1. Don’t compare yourself to other women. We all are on our own journey and have our own inner talents, drives and motivations. Comparing yourself to others can only limit your potential, dampen your fire and leave you feeling discouraged and unworthy.
2. Give yourself credit. As Antiope said, “You are stronger than you believe. You have greater powers than you know.” We are far more capable than we give ourselves credit for, so stop putting yourself down or thinking you are not enough. If you are doing your best and aiming high, you are doing awesome!
3. Don’t be so hard on yourself. We all have those days. Some days are better than others. Some days we feel like we can conquer it all and other days, everything seems a bit too overwhelming. Don’t be so hard on yourself. As long as you show up with full effort, whatever you have to give on any given day, that is what will set you apart. If you aren’t feeling it but you head to the gym and show up anyway to give what you’ve got, you are a success! Rather than being hard on yourself that you didn’t give enough, be proud that you showed up and gave your all!
4. Set realistic goals and expectations. It is so easy to put unrealistic expectations on ourselves. There is only so much time in the day and so much energy one can give to a particular job(s) or person. We think we can conquer it ALL and we can, but only if we are realistic with how and when we accomplish each task. Creating a to-do list and prioritizing your goals can be helpful in successfully achieving every expectation you put on yourself. Rather than trying to conquer the world overnight, aim to conquer it one realistic step at a time.
5. Know your self worth, believe in yourself fully and aim high. What you think, you will become, so don’t ever devalue your self worth. Aim higher than you think is possible, because you are capable of so much more than you can imagine. When we learn to have the courage to face our fears, that is when we get closer to tapping into that inner Wonder Woman.
6. Nourish your body with the proper diet. No woman can live at her highest potential without the proper diet. To be able to use those “superhuman” powers and exercise strength in all areas of our lives, we must feed our bodies well. Eat a well-balanced diet of lean proteins, low-glycemic complex carbohydrates and good fats, and elevate your potential through proper nourishment.
7. Exercise regularly. The best thing you can do to exercise both mental and physical strength is to move your body and add resistance training to your program. One of the easiest and most immediate ways to bring out the Wonder Woman in you is to get in a killer workout. I know after a good sweat, that is when I feel like I can tackle the world and take on any obstacle that comes my way.
When we focus on unlocking the inner Wonder Woman within ourselves, we can be that much better of woman, wife and mom. We must let go of the unnecessary restrictions we put on ourselves, which are only limiting our potential and stunting our growth. Aim higher than you can ever imagine, and make a pledge to walk with courage and keep striving to be better, dig deeper and discover that Wonder Woman that is there and ready to be unleashed.
Photo of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman by Clay Enos/Warner Bros. Pictures