Gingerbread cookies are a popular treat around the holidays. Typically these cookies are deemed to be the “healthier” of the bunch. While this is true, relatively speaking, there is still some room to lighten them up. So here’s what I did: I reduced the amount of sugar by eliminating the white sugar and reducing the amount of molasses, I replaced white pastry flour with a combination of wheat and oat flour, and I also reduced the fat content by replacing the butter with some healthier ingredient swaps. Enjoy this jumbo holiday cookie treat for only 100 calories knowing that you did your part to lighten it up.
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
CHEWY GINGERBREAD COOKIES
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat flour
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3/4 cup granulated Splenda/stevia
1 tsp. baking soda
1 TB cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
pinch sea salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 TB unsweetened Greek yogurt
3 TB olive oil
2 TB unsweetened apple sauce
How to Prepare
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray 2 large cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg, molasses, yogurt, oil, and apple sauce until well blended. To this bowl, add flours, protein powder, granulated sweetener, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined a dough-like mixture is formed.
4. Spoon the dough evenly onto the baking sheets to form 12 mounds. Flatten the mounds with the back of a spoon to form a round cookie shape, leaving enough room around each to allow them to expand without overlapping during baking.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Let the cookies cool for at least a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Option: Make 24 smaller cookies instead of 12 big ones (note: divide the nutrition in half per cookie)
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT